Just like any other web presence you have, you should to keep SEO for LinkedIn in mind when you are setting up your professional profile on the site. Fortunately, there are many easy steps to take to do this.The first thing to do is to use the privacy settings on your account to ensure your profile is visible to the public.
The first thing to do is to use the privacy settings on your account to ensure your profile is visible to the public. Another LinkedIn tip to keep in mind is to keep your content short and to the point.
Tips on Optimizing Your LinkedIn Profile for SEO
Here are some more tips to optimize your profile in LinkedIn:
- Write a concise, descriptive headline for your profile using relevant keywords. Also describe your career summary and experience using keywords specific to your industry. Keep these descriptions short – you want them to be easy to read and to the point. List your specialties and skills, also using relevant keywords where you can.
- Don’t change your company name or shorten it for the sake of SEO. It’s better to leave it the official name.
- Ask for recommendations from business contacts, and give them a suggestion of what to write. People appreciate not having to come up with something from scratch. This also allows you to make sure the recommendation is professional and factual, without going overboard. Keep SEO in mind when suggesting recommendations, and incorporate keywords where possible.
- Stay active on LinkedIn and keep in touch with your connections. Participate in group discussions when you can contribute something of value. Be sure to not only provide answers, but to ask your own questions and provide relevant comments. This will build your reputation in the industry and get your name out there.
- Create a vanity URL for your profile to replace the generic one you were given when you created your account. Go to Settings and then Edit My Public Profile. Make sure your full name is in your LinkedIn URL. Unlike other networking sites, LinkedIn is for professional networking, and you must use your real name and not an alias.
- Use a professional-looking photo on your profile. LinkedIn will remove inappropriate photos or images that are not you. For SEO, use your first and last name as the file name for your photo. Your name will be used as the ALT tag on the photo, as well.
A professional profile on LinkedIn can be an asset to your career and increase your visibility in your industry. By following a few simple tips for SEO for LinkedIn, you can optimize your profile for the best chance of having it seen by the search engines.