If you are thinking about starting a website or blog, one of the first questions you’ll probably ask yourself is “How much does a website cost?” It’s an important question. The best way to start a website early on can save you a ton of money in the long run.
It is true that a website can be free to start; however, question here is how can you join in on the fun, and maybe even make some money while doing it?
The answer to your question is that a free website-making service will allow you to create a website quickly and have it live on the web in just a few minutes.
What you need to do?
1. Find a free online website-building service: There are a lot of options out there; therefore, it’s worth spending some time comparing features. Your website will most likely also be a subdomain of the host site instead of its own site (e.g. yoursite.host.com instead of yoursite.com). Most offer limited services for free sites and typically place advertisements on your site. Some of the more popular free hosting sites include:
- Web Start Today; great for websites of all kinds and blogs
2. Compare service: Every host will offer different services at the free level. Free hosts have different policies regarding creating online stores. Ensure that the service you pick can adequately support your goals, if you intend to create an ecommerce website. Remember to check to see if the host allows you to upload your own websites. Most of the free services have web page creation tools and do not allow you to upload your own customized code. If you want to be able to create your own site, make sure that the host allows it.
3. Sign up for an account: The free website hosting companies would require you create an account. You may not need to add any billing information unless you plan on upgrading to a paid account, depending on the service.
4. Choose a template that suits you or your business brand: Search through the available pre-made templates. Many of the hosts have specialized designs for their sites that help maintain a brand identity with that host. Therefore, find the design that fits your website’s needs the most.
5. Design your website: Almost every free website companies have website construction videos available through their website. These videos will show you how to choose from pre-made template, and add your text and images with minimal fuss and have a functioning website up in a very short amount of time. It can also tell you how to simply drag and drop images into the site. Most free websites require little to no coding experience. Most free websites provide the tools to create your website online, without the need to download any editing programs. Since you are creating the site through these free websites companies service, you don’t need to worry about using FTP programs and cPanel to upload content to your site. Most of the services offer a variety of tutorials to help get your site up and running as quickly as possible. If your website building company allows it, you can upload your own HTML files to truly create your own custom website.
6. Search engine-optimisation (SEO) your website: This can be start by submitting your site to search engines. Then search engines crawl the web, and match content on websites with users’ searches. To start attracting large numbers of customers to your website, you will want to submit it to all the major search engines. The process varies depending on the search engine; however, almost all will require you to create a sitemap of your website first.
7. Publish your site: When you are happy with the layout and content of your website, it is time to open up for business. A blog or announcement area is a good idea to create a welcome/introduction post, explaining the purpose of the site and introducing yourself. That will help make readers feel more welcome when they visit the site, and give them a quick breakdown of what the site is for.
8. Market your site: Now when you have a complete website and are adding content on a regular basis, you can start advertising your site. You can have your site advertised on other websites through programs like Google AdSense, or you can promote your site on your own through social media.